Fuel Tanks


I will begin working on the fuel tanks as soon as all the drawings are complete and the photos are added to the BM.  I am anxious to get this done as I am out of room in the shop and need to get these wings to the hangar, to make room for working on the fuselage.

Making progress as of March 9th, tanks are cleco assembled, de-burred and roughed up ready for sticky stuff as soon as I get the skins dimpled.


It is April 5, 2015, Easter Sunday so while waiting for Easter dinner with the family, I decided to occupy my time by updating the site. Having completed the “dry” assembly of the fuel tanks,


I did a quick test fit and I think I like it.  However, because I have riveted the inboard skin up to the last 4 rows, I have taken away the option for removable tanks.  There is no way to pull the skin back far enough to insert the anchor nuts if you do this.  So, if you want to have removable tanks, be patient and don’t rivet on any of the inboard skins.

So, now on to starting on the sticky stuff, but first to dimple the backs on the tanks using a borrowed deep throat squeezer.


This squeezer is just like the one I have, but I did not get the option of a removable head nor did I get this head.  However, I live in RV heaven, so had no problem borrowing one for a couple of days.  It is a Tatco squeezer.


You can see the borrowed one has the removable pins and the large head.  If you get this brand squeezer, you can get a whole set also.

I decided to install the fuel test drain on the outside of the tank because it is already countersunk for the solid rivets, it will be more likely to get the undesirable material to drain without the ridge of the flange, and it will provide more clearance for the fuel pickup.


So here is the finished product of the outside of the right and the inside of the left.  I do still have to install the anchor nuts on the right.  Again I reviewed Tony’s Picasa site and noticed that he installed them last.  I had a difficult time installing them with all the sticky stuff in place and think this must be the best way to do it.  Also, I am going to use the gasket as I can always go back to using the pro-seal ( FlameMaster ), if I get a leak due to the gasket.


That is it for now.  I may wait for the rest of the builders manual and plans to be completed before I go any farther with the tanks.  See y’all at SNF.

See construction details for a full description.