Forward Fuselage

I have been planning to go to Corvair College in Barnwell, SC on November 8, 2014.  There were two reasons for wanting to attend.  First, I wanted to meet up will all the builders and friends that I had met in the past, and second, to pick up my Corvair engine that Roy would be bringing to CC with him.  Three days before the CC, I got an unexpected call from Rachel at SPA.  She wanted to know if I was going and if I had room to bring something back with me.  As the conversation progressed, I realized that she and Dan were bringing something for my Panther.  It was the forward fuselage and canopy bubble, along with tail and wing tips.  I was elated and rushed to Enterprise that afternoon, to get a larger vehicle.  I know I won’t run out of project for a while.

Thank you Dan and Rachel for being so considerate and saving me all that cash for shipping.  And now every time I go to the shop, I can feast my eyes on this new beautiful part.

20141108_NewParts_01

 

Today, January 11, 2014, I made as much progress on the Tail Cone as the parts on-hand would allow.  Now I am moving on the construction the Front fuselage.  When both the Front Fuselage and the Tail Cone are completed, they will be joined to form the Panther Fuselage.  Here are two photos of the fuselage laying on the side with the bottom skin temporarily attached with Cleco clamps.

Front Fuselage Graduated to Work Bench_02 Front Fuselage Graduated to Work Bench_01

After aligning the bottom skin, I proceeded to drill and cleco.  Most of what you see here is Drilling, Cleco, deburr, after the skin is aligned.  Aligning the skin is almost automatic.  There is really not much option as to where it is to be placed.  I followed the instructions and it all went together as you would expect that it would.

01_20150129_DrillingBottomSkin

Seen below are the tools used.

03_20150129_ToolsUsed
I needed to use the angle drill to get the hole started that goes thru the nut. I did not finish the hole until after I removed the skin, over concern of damaging the threads of the nut.

07_20150129_AngleDrillForHoleInBottom
I decided that the only way I was going to get any of the burr off the inside of the steel cage, was to use the Burraway. I am sure this did not remove all of it, but I don’t know of any way to do it better than this.

13_20150129_BurrawayOnSteelFrame

I had thought that the Burraway would also be good for doing the skins, but after doing the bottom skin, I determined that it should be better. So, I used a countersink bit with the pilot sanded down to just a nub. Then, I could lay the skin on a blanket and deburr with out concern of clearance below the skin. I used 20# of air pressure and a quick pull of the trigger. This cleaned it all up very nicely and the pilot helped keep the chatter out that you get with a bit that does not have a pilot.

14_20150129_DeburringSkinsTool

15_20150129_DeburringSkinsSo, now the withdrawal sets in.  I am out of parts and or plans and manual.  So, I swept up the shop and put it all to bed for now.  That is what has given me the time to update the site.